I’ve been wanting to set up a weblog for ages, but I’ve never really found any software I felt was good enough. So every time i thought about it I decided I’d have to create my own. With me, this is about the same as deciding not to do it at all, and this is of course what happend. Until now; I finally got over myself, and installed Movable Type.
I had to make some alterations to make everything fit with my way of doing things. The whole prosess was “mostly harmless” but quite a bit of work. So far I’ve future proofed the URL space and worked on the templates to make everything look like the rest of the website. All pages are written as both HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.1, and content negotiation picks the one best fitting your browser. This basically mean that if your browser sends an Accept: header listing application/xhtml+xml with a higher priority then text/html you get the XHTML 1.1 version, if not the default is HTML 4.01. The same technique is used on most of the rest of the website as well.
If there’s any interrest I may do a writeup about how I’ve put it together with Movable Type.